Rent A Facility
ERCA also offers some of its beautiful facilities as rentals for weddings, showers, meetings and other events. You can rent the visitor centres at the John R. Park Homestead and Hillman Marsh, or the grounds at Holiday Beach.
If you want a natural theme and a casual atmosphere for your wedding or special occasions, one of our outdoor locations might be the perfect choice for you. Please remember that outdoor events usually require more preparation and expense than those held in buildings with facilities. Weather and insects cannot be controlled, so flexibility is important. Remember that fish flies generally peak in late May or early June, so that may be a time to avoid.
It is important to note that for each of these locations, you, as the renter and event host, would be responsible for booking all other necessary infrastructure such as tents, electrical generators, tables and chairs, lighting for your tents, etc.
John R. Park Homestead: Includes the expansive grounds on the shore of Lake Erie and our modern visitor centre, housed inside an 1860s barn. The visitor centre has modern washrooms, a small kitchen with stove, refrigerator, microwave and sink; an auditorium that will seat 45 people, and forced-air heating and air conditioning. The Homestead’s historic buildings are normally locked during rentals. For an additional fee you can have a staff member, dressed in period costume, open the 1842 house and interact with your guests. We book only one wedding per weekend, so you will not be competing with others for the facilities.
Hillman Marsh Conservation Area: The Hillman Marsh Visitor Centre can accommodate roughly 30 people for a sit down meal. For events large than this, an outdoor tent should be erected. There are washroom facilities on site.
Holiday Beach Conservation Area: Growing in popularity for couples interested in a beach wedding but don’t wish to travel out of country, Holiday Beach offers a beautiful and scenic location for your wedding or special event. We do have onsite washroom facilities near where tents could be erected. There are no kitchen or food preparation facilities, so your caterer would have to make most preparations in advance.
Things to Consider
- Be sure to check with your officiant. While many are happy to conduct outdoor weddings, some denominations require that the ceremony be held in a building.
- You are responsible for renting your own tent, chairs, tables, lights, dance floor, cutlery, etc.
- You must obtain and post a special occasion permit from the L.C.B.O. When alcohol is to be served outdoors or in a tent, the L.C.B.O. will circulate your application to local police and fire departments. Please allow several weeks for your application to be processed. Prior to your event, you must also provide us with proof of liquor liability insurance (sometimes called special event insurance). You can get this coverage through your home or auto insurance broker. If you are serving alcohol, plan for designated drivers or some other form of transportation, since there are no taxi services in the area.
- Kitchen facilities are extremely limited (and only available at the Homestead) so most food preparation must be done offsite. The caterer will also need to provide dishes, cutlery and glassware.
- All garbage must be removed from the Homestead, or placed in the onsite dumpsters at Hillman Marsh or Holiday Beach.
- Smoking is not permitted in or near any of the historic buildings at the Homestead. Most parties designate a smoking area (parking lot, picnic tables) and inform their guests.
- In consideration of our neighbours, music and alcohol service must end no later than 1:00 a.m.
- You are required to make arrangements to meet your tent company, caterer, etc. on site, and to conduct any associated utility locates.
- You are required to have the site returned to its original condition by 10:30am Sunday morning. All litter must be picked up, garbage removed from the site and keys returned. At this time a staff will go over the site with your representative and discuss cleanup/damages if any. If there are no damages, your damage deposit cheque will be returned to you when you return the keys. The tent may stay on the grounds until Monday a.m. if necessary.
- Your damage deposit is required in advance of your event, at the time of contract signing. Your damage deposit cheque will be held until the day after your event, when your representative and the ERCA staff review the site and inspect for damages. If damage has occurred, you will be required to pay for the damage, or have that amount deducted from your damage deposit cheque with the remaining balance being returned to you.